Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have booked a return airfare to Sydney with Escape Travel…

Customer Question
I have booked a...

I have booked a return airfare to Sydney with Escape Travel Knox City Melbourne. I thought everything was fine until Escape travel contacted me to say it would cost $200 to change the name on the ticket. The ticket is booked in the name of Tony Priest, yet His Licence ID is Anthony Priest. When I contacted Virgin Airlines they refused to talk to me or change the ticket name from Tony to Anthony as it was a Travel Agent Booking. The travel Agent at Escape travel tells me that Virgin need $200 to do this from the Travel Agent who are now trying to pass on this expense to me. When I booked the holiday at no time didi the Agent inform me that the booking name had to be the same as the ID name. Can you help me as I feel this is not my mistake but the travel agent' s mistake not mine at all.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Victoria and this is about domestic air travel from Melbourne to Sydney

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I rand the airline last night and I have not filed any report. What should I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Will this cost me money in asking a lawyer?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Australia Law
9/6/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 11 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Good Morning

The reason for this is because it is not a change of name but a new ticket.

The fee is from the airline.

He should be the person that changes the ticket and he should be able to talk to the airline. You can't because you are not the person named on the ticket.

If you are saying that you were told that any changes are free you have to show when you were told but this is not a change. The ticket is cancelled and a new one issued.

The name cannot be changed it has to be a new ticket.

I am sorry I cannot give you anything more positive but this is the way it is.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards

The Virgin Airline will not talk to Tony to change anything but will only talk to only the Travel Agent as the Airline want to charge the Travel Agent $200 fee which they insist I pay at the Travel Agency. It is the Travel Agent'S MISTAKE WHEN SHE MADE THE BOOKING NOT MINE!

Good Morning

Who gave the agency the name?

Did you provide them with the drivers licence and they did not use the name on the licence?

If you can show that you provided them the correct name and they did not use it then you are correct they are responsible.

You say they made the mistake so you have to be able to show you gave them the correct name and they did not use it.