Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

If someone comes up with an idea for an invention and shares…

If someone comes up...

If someone comes up with an idea for an invention and shares that idea with a view to build it but the person who has the idea does nothing and does not even go to a P.A. to sign a document either sharing or surrendering ownership of the idea, can the other partner claim ownership of the invention

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

WA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, I have spoken with a PA who tells me that the person who thought of the idea is the owner, but he has done nothing to develop it

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have tried to communicate with the other person many times to get things moving, he keeps promising to go see the PA but never does

8/18/2017
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

ok

Good Evening

The invention is built by a third party and they own the copyright of the invention. They have taken the idea and expanded on it.
If the person with the idea had designed it and shown it to the person that built it then the invention can be claimed by the person that had the idea.

But just having an idea does not give you the intellectual property to own the invention.

More goes into the invention than just the idea.

It all depends on how detailed the idea was.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards

Leon, Solicitor
Phone call session started