How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Melis Your Own Question
John Melis
John Melis,
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 530
Experience:  Principal Lawyer at Legal AU Pty Ltd
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
John Melis is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was employed full time with a truck company in western

This answer was rated:

I was employed full time with a truck company in western NSW. I had been employed with them for approximately four months. As far as I was aware, I was not on any probation period, and was never informed of such. On Friday evening, the 4th of August 2017, I resigned from employment with this company, by was of txt message to the owner. I gave two weeks notice of resignation, this would have expired today, 18/8/17.
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the truck?
Customer: NSW, 2010 model. I accidently sent the incomplete message. Anyhow, the employer notified me on Monday, that my employment was "forth with terminated immediately". I have requested two weeks pay in leiu of notice, this hasn't been paid. Am I entitled to this two weeks wages, as I was prepared to work the two weeks.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: What do you mean?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: Filed or reported, what do you refer to
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today. Please allow me a few moments to review your post and I will respond accordingly. Kind regards
John Melis

Dear customer, where you have resigned and provided two weeks notice, and then the employer terminates a short time later, that employer is still required to pay you the notice period of two weeks employment in lieu of termination which was immediate.

Where the employer fails to pay the two weeks you can raise an application on the Fair Work Commission website and they will investigate the matter and act on your behalf.

In summary to your question, you are entitled to the payment.

If you have any further questions, I would bee please to answer them.

Kind regards *****

John Melis and other Australia Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
At the time of this incident, I was and still am suffering from PTSD. I stated by text to the Operations Manager that I would not claim the entitlement of two weeks pay in leiu of notice, as I did not want to cause any trouble, as my brother still works there. I now regret that decision, as I have a medical condition that requires major surgery, and I will be off work for ten months. Does that rescind my two weeks in lieu entitlement. In regards ***** ***** PTSD, I was medically discharged from the NSW Police Force in 2002, because of that condition.

Dear customer, you are entitled to the two weeks pay as you have followed proper protocol, and if you choose, you could raise a claim at the Fair Work Commission, which would initiate investigation into the matter, and most likely result in a settlement of the two weeks pay.

Kind regards
John Melis