Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

My daughter was involved in an incident at school camp,

my daughter was involved in an incident at school camp, where there was damage to property. I am the child's mother, and the school is saying I am liable for the cost, is that true?
JA: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Victoria
JA: Have you spoken to a local attorney or school administrator? What is your ideal outcome for this situation?
Customer: That I don't pay anything, I can't see why I am responsible when she was in the school's care, not mine, and no, I haven't spoken to a lawyer yet, I was wondering legally who's responsibility it was
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Good Evening

Parents are not liable for the damage their children cause.

Having said that if you have signed anything where you take responsibility to indemnify the school for any damage that your child does, then you will be liable to pay.

If there is nothing signed then they cannot hold you liable.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards