Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My driver's licence is QLD which I changed from NSW some…

Customer Question
My driver's licence is...

My driver's licence is QLD which I changed from NSW some time ago.I own residence in QLD and I am there frequently. Am I okay to identify this Qld as my place of residence?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am currently in NSW. Yesterday I was stopped for a driving issue and the officer said I was not a resident of Qld and I had to revert my licence to NSW. I think he is wrong?

Lawyer's Assistant: Was a citation issued? Has a court date been set?

Nowdays they don't issue citation. The cop said I would receive it in the mail. No court date.

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

NSW

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think the cop was wrong in law to state that in his opinion I was not a Qld resident.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Australia Law
8/7/2017
Solicitor: Daniel, Solicitor replied 11 months ago
Daniel, Solicitor

Hello
The address on the licence needs to be where you reside. Having a property in QLD is not enough, it is where you reside.
If you do reside there more often than not, and it is fixed address for everything else (postal address) then there should be no issue.

I wish to help you in this situation.

I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

I know this. I actually travel back and forth very frequently and since my partner owns a place in NSW, I stay at her place. My issue is whether or not a local highway patrol cop has the legal knowledge to advise me while at a roadside stop that my QLD licence needs to be changed to a NSW which I contend it does NOT.

Hello
Apologies, I hear you.
I would strongly assume that the highway patrol officer has an acceptable amount of knowledge in respect of offences, but in this instance, he is off the mark.

I wish to help you in this situation.