Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Morning: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary…

Customer Question
Morning my name is*****...

Morning my name is*****: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I have been in a de facto relationship for just under 2 yrs and have put into the house around $100 k in renos and furniture, my question is what am I entitled to if I leave

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No not as yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No just my legal rights

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Australia Law
8/7/2017
Solicitor: Daniel, Solicitor replied 11 months ago
Daniel, Solicitor

Hello
$100,000 is a SIGNIFICANT amount in contributions, which would in no doubt increase the value of the property as well as use and enjoyment with the relationship.
On the face of it however, that is the only factor in your favor at the moment.
The relationship period is short, less than 2 years, plus your partner has the home to begin with.
At best really, the amount put in, will be the amount to be received should you separate.
You can claim a higher amount, due to the value of the home being increased as a result.

I wish to help you in this situation.

All I'd like is what I contribute to the house that's all

Hello
Well that is the minimum as to what you can obtain.
So, for example, if you do separate, you can claim more, but in the interests of resolving the separation amicably, you can offer to settle and have the $100k paid back.
Any solicitor would tell your partner to settle, and cut a cheque for that sum and move on with their lives.

I wish to help you in this situation.

I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

I no longer require any further information thank you

cheers, ***** ***** you can click on the ACCEPT button, the question can be closed.

I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.