Have Australian Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

I have made a claim for permanent disability with Q Super,

Customer Question
made August 2016, I am...
I have made a claim for permanent disability with Q Super, made August 2016, I am still waiting a decision and I know they have all my details, but there is a concern with my continuity of insurance. I left QH in April 2014 and left 2k in the policy to cover death or disability. I have had heart concerns for a number of years but in November 2015 I was diagnosed with lung problems as well as heart problems caused by the lung and would need a heart/lung transplant, but unfortunately because of my age being over 55 I did not qualify. I am now on a disability pension with centrelink and the delay in approving this claim is causing me untold stress.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Since we stopped travelling we have purchased a villa in Tweed Heads but Q Super is in Queensland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: They have all our claim forms, medical records from our GP covering some 20 years plus all he records from the Respiratory and Heart Failure Unit at Prince Charles Hospital. I forgot to let you know that Q Super advised that they have now forwarded this claim to another insurance company
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We were advised in August or thereabouts that the policy was cancelled from the end of June, but if we wanted to put another 3k in we would then be covered. Conversations with Q Super (Andy) advised that due to the complaint being diagnosed the previous November that the claim would be looked at. Since then we have contacted them (Andy) numerous times with very little response and we are still none the wiser.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Australia Law
8/6/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 4 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Good Afternoon

Were you paying premiums all along with Q Super?

Can you please respond here and I will close the new question and get you a refund.

I have been with Q Super for 12/13 years

Yes but you mentioned that they asked you to pay extra for the inurance? Have you been paying your premiums throughout your membership?

Have they refused the claim?

I was covered for death and disability insurance with my contributions to the fund from the time I had commenced with Queensland Health. In relation to the previous 2k that I left in Q Super after rolling over my monies to another fund the 3k was to reinstate the insurance that was previous offered for 2k

Good Evening

When you rolled over the money, was the fund taking out premiums to pay the insurance until the date you made the claim?

I need to confirm that your premiums were up to date if they were not you are not covered and even paying the $3K no insurer will pay.

maybe I am not explaining myself properly, I would like to terminate this process and request you refund any monies I have paid you. I thought I was onto the Superannuation Ombudsman for Queensland, I will take another route.
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor