Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My partner died 3 werks ago, we lived together gor 8 months.

Customer Question
My partner died 3...

My partner died 3 werks ago, we lived together gor 8 months. Do I have rights to his ashes?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Qld

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

?? Police report?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I phoned the crematorium and his step dad is named as the person who is collecting. Wiyhout my knowing.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Australia Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
8/6/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 11 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Good Afternoon

I am sorry to hear about your loss.

Being together 8 months does not make you a defacto couple. You have to be together at least 2 years before the law recognises you as a defacto.

Unless the relationship has been registered there is no defacto relationship.

In this situation you have to speak with his family and see what agreement you can come to with them

If you wish to bring an action against them you will have to get evidence of the relationship and also be able to provide evidence of what you late partner wanted.

It is not going be easy and it is best to speak with his family and see if you can come to an arrangement.

I am sorry I cannot give you anything more positive.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards