Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Is it possible to determine a percentage charge over and…

Customer Question
Hi..Is it possible to...

Hi..Is it possible to determine a percentage charge over and above the schedule fee in the case of allied services i.e. pathology in Queensland

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Queensland

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not sure my understanding is correct in this regard but I guess as the patient concerned has received letters from a debt collector as accounts are overdue and haven't been paid as yet and we have advised said debt collector and the provider of the service, of charges two, three and almost four times the schedule fee and are waiting for a review on this matter

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the debts in question? What collection efforts have been made?

The debts are for inpatient pathology tests (as we are not professionals we are unable to determine exactly what each item was actually for)...The debt collectors have been helpful and as I said we have advised that while we can not pay all of the four invoices in question outright....not happy that there is such a difference in some items..between schedule fee and actually charged.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in?

Queensland

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

From the receipt of the first invoices I advised the provider that we could not pay that amount in one go but had forwarded claim to Medicare and the private health fund and once those rebates were received we could maybe look at entering a payment plan which the provider agreed to be appropriate.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Australia Law
8/6/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today. Please allow me a few moments to review your post and I will respond accordingly.

Kind regards

Dear customer, your situation requires assessment on how the legislation will impact on the specifics of your circumstance. Sometimes what should seem straight forward may not always be the case, and this is why lawyers are engaged to determine your legal rights.

Discussing your very important matter by telephone can be easier and more efficient. I will provide a further detailed reply but in the meantime please rate my service.

Kind regards

Dear customer, your matter raises the question of debts payable, and that you have advised the provider where the invoices were presented to you, that you could not pay the amount at one time.

Debt collection agencies generally are willing to work with the debtor to secure final payment. Where payment cannot be made in full or with an increased percentage amount, the next appropriate solution is to enter into a debt arrangement with the collection agency. This will mean signing a debt contract, which will contain a period by which the debt needs to be paid and the instalment amount.

Whether the collection agency will be in agreement to enter into a debt arrangement will be subject to how long the debt has been outstanding.

I recommend that you contact the debt collection agency at first instance to discuss the arrangement of the debt agreement, and where they are willing to assist you, settle a payment amount that is appropriate for you. Then before signing off on the debt agreement, have a solicitor review it for you to ensure that there will be no negative impact on your credit rating.

Kind regards *****

Dear customer, I can answer all your questions for free and I request if you can please rate my service with 5 stars.

Kind regards

Dear customer, you have not responded recently. I strive for excellent service and welcome you to raise further questions as required.

Don’t forget to rate my service for 5 stars so I can keep on answering your important questions.

Kind regards