Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My father has just passed away, i found out in the the

Customer Question
Hi my father has...

Hi my father has just passed away, i found out in the the hospital my sister has power of attorney and stated my mother has dementia. There is a will but I have no idea what is in it. My sister and i have not spoken to each other in years. I would like to know what my rights are.

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And just to clarify, what paperwork has been filed?

Victoria

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I don't really know, when my father died we where at hospital, and my sister said I have power of attorney and my mum has Dementia. I know she took the death certificate to a solicitor asap and there was a will but i havent been told anything

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Thats all i know

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Australia Law
8/5/2017
Solicitor: Daniel, Solicitor replied 1 year ago
Daniel, Solicitor
Hello
Well your mother is still alive, your father's wife, so she will get the estate really. Above you and your sister.Then when she passes away, it will be given to you and your sister.
You may claim now, but considering your mother needs care, she will be entitled more than you on that alone.
So I dont see either your sister or you being sucessful in a claim over your mother.Please click accept and rate my service (with the stars). I am able to answer further questions after doing so at no further cost.

I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.