Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I have one question one of my friend is caught shoplifting

Customer Question

Hi I have one question one of my friend is caught shoplifting of 250 dollars in queensland and have Hearing in megistrate court and first time offender I want to know is this thing affect her visa she is on bridging visa and applied for 457 visa
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: Means I didn't get that
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes police came and she return everything to store and get notice to go to court
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I want to know that is this thing affect her visa like refuse or deported
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Expert:  Leon replied 2 months ago.

Good Evening

If she is convicted she has to advise the department that she has a criminal conviction. It is not major but it is a criminal conviction.

She should get a solicitor to represent her and seek the courts leniency and also that they give her a spent conviction meaning there is no criminal record.

It will not be refused because it is not a major criminal offence but it is a criminal offence.

For her to be refused and deported it has to be a substantial criminal record and that is explained in the following link

https://www.border.gov.au/Lega/Lega/Form/Immi-FAQs/what-is-a-substantial-criminal-record

She does not have anything to worry about but it is best she has a solicitor and requests a spent conviction.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards