Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I was arrested in NSW for a warrent issued in 2003 traffic…

Customer Question
I was arrested in NSW...
I was arrested in NSW for a warrent issued in 2003 traffic 1. Unlicensed driver 2. Unregistered car
3. Uninsured car
Found guilty in 2017 lost my SA drivers licence for 3 years until 2020 how come I was able to leave the country in2015 with a warrent out for me ? also they only told me about a fine didn't tell me until later that I'd lost my licience nationally court notice is very misleading
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Australia Law
8/4/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 1 year ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Good Afternoon

The warrant is not given to the Department of Immigration, it is a state warrant and unless they fear you are going to leave the country will they extend it to the federal police.

When courts make orders on licences all state authorities are notified.

I assume you were arrested in NSW and at the time you had a SA licence?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was arrested in NSW whilst driving on full SA licence original Warrent was in 2003 why didn't they fine me in a NSW court back in 2003 and prevent me from getting a d/l then instead of nearly 20 years later

Good Afternoon

The Court has a discretion as to what it does.

The penalty you received also has to do with your failure to appear.

Have you spoken with the SA authorities and asked if they have cancelled your licence? If that has not happened then your penalty is only that you cannot drive in NSW on any licence.

You had to appear before the court back in 2003 in order to have been penalised and the courts take driving offence seriously.

If you had appeared you would have got a fine and told to get a licence and would have been placed on a good behaviour bond.

Your failure to appear is what has caused the current disqualification.

If it has happened in the last 28 days you can appeal on severity to the district court.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards