Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I need to have a document notarised by a solicitor. It's a…

Customer Question
Hi, I need to...

Hi, I need to have a document notarised by a solicitor. It's a standard Financial Agreement Under Section 90UD of the Family Law Act 1975 (Cth)

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

QLD

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

It's a standard document that's already been drafted by another solicitor. It relates to property

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The document is complete and I accept the terms. I understand that the solicitor will need to advise me accordingly.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Australia Law
7/31/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 11 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Good Evening

What is the document? Usually only documents that are to go overseas are notarised.

Is it a Binding financial agreement?

Hi Leon. Sorry, I misspoke. It's a Binding Financial Agreement Under Section 90UD of the Family Law Act 1975 (Cth). Relating to real property.

We are not able to do this for you.

You will have to speak to the law society of QLD and get a referral.

Their website is as follows:

http://www.qls.com.au/Home

They will be advising you on the contents and also will go through the full list of assets and liabilities.

If you agree with the list and also that you give up your rights under the Family Law Act then you will sign and the solicitor will sign the certificate that you signed understanding the document and without duress.

These documents should be be ta***** *****ghtly.

Also I note that the document is not complete and does not have all assets noted and values.

Also there is an alternative that is cheaper and that is consent orders. Where the court makes the orders and the splitting of the assets.

Here is the Consent orders kit.

http://www.familycourt.gov.au/wps/wcm/connect/fcoaweb/forms-and-fees/court-forms/diy-kits/kit-diy-application-consent-orders

Also you should not be signing anything until there has been fill disclosure by both of you where you provide fill details and evidence of all assets and liabilities as at today. Also full history of contributions etc.

The solicitor you have should know all that and give you advise on whether this is a fair split for you. It is not a short relationship it is 9 years.

Contact the law society and get a referral to a family law solicitor and give them the full history as per your version and then have full disclosure.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards