Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

We currently live in Canberra, but moved from Brisbane. We…

Customer Question
We currently live in...

We currently live in Canberra, but moved from Brisbane . We were building a house in Bardon , and all was going well till 2/3rds of the way through , when the builder did a runner with nearly $400 000 of our money

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Qld

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes with QBCC

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The tradies haven`t been paid and we know the builder has run away to his parents place in Bundaberg

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Australia Law
7/31/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 11 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Good Afternoon

Was the contract with him personally or to a company?

With a company called Bazel & Co

Good Evening.

You can only sue the company not him personally unless he has given personal guarantees.

Do you know if the company has any assets?

No he has gone into liquidation

Unfortunately there is very little that you can do.

You are now a creditor and you have to deal with the liquidator.

If you had some personal guarantee from the builder then you could chase him personally. If not then you can only sue the company that you had the contract with.

I am really sorry I cannot give you anything more positive.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards

Thanks Leon , as we suspected

Good Evening

You are very welcome and I am sorry I cannot give you anything more positive. All the best.

Regards