Have Australian Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

My ex wants full custody over our child. NSW. There was DV

Customer Question
hi my ex wants full...
hi my ex wants full custody over our child
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: NSW
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: there was DV involved
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Australia Law
I have a history of mental health and currently living in a domestic violence refuge. he said if we go to court ill lose because of my mental health history & the fact tht I live in a refuge.
I never made police reports against him when he was abusive but I did however take photos from one of the incidents.
7/22/2017
Solicitor: Daniel, Solicitor replied 4 months ago
Daniel, Solicitor

Hello
Firstly relax. As easy as it is for me to say.
Secondly, courts take the view that women in relationships that are violent, seldom call the cops as it were.
Courts accept, that in some instances, a woman for whatever reason, fear, embarrassment whatever, do not call the cops.
Further, mental health, you should attend to treatment and the like, once you get some help, may well assist you and a court will not deal with as a real factor.

ALSO, above ALL, a court will be of a view that, if he really did hold fears for the child's safety, he would have already made arrangements to take the child.

My advice, get the help from the refuge, I trust they have access to legal aid and the like, the MORE the child is with you, the better.

Don't be concerned. Courts take a dim view of parents that threaten to take kids, then wait till there is some court order. Even then, the way the family courts are in Sydney, a final hearing will not be listed for at least a year and a half.

I would not be concerned.

Please click accept and rate my service (with the stars) I am able to answer further questions after doing so at no further cost.

Hello
I note you have not responded?
I want to assist you.
Please click accept and rate my service (with the stars). I am able to answer further questions after doing so at no further cost.

Hello

I have not received a response?

I wish to assist you in this.

Please click accept / rate my service (with the stars). I am able to answer further questions after doing so at no further cost to you.

Solicitor: Daniel, Solicitor replied 3 months ago

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Daniel, Solicitor