Have Australian Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

I have been in my current casual employment as a

Customer Question
cleaner/receptionist for 6 months. Prior...
I have been in my current casual employment as a cleaner/receptionist for 6 months. Prior to the 3.3% increase my hourly pay rate was $1.27 below the minimal wage rate. Now it's only $0.73 below!!
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: NSW
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not as yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have made mention to my employer re-rate is below minimal wage and reply was that I knew the hourly rate when I accepted the position - at which time I had not known minimal wage conditions, as this is my first employment in the private sector.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Australia Law
7/14/2017
Solicitor: John Melis,
 replied 4 months ago

Dear customer, your matter relates to employment contracts.

If your employer is failing to respond to your questions raised concerning your wage, and if you are being paid below the minimum wage set within Australia, you may raise the claim at the Fair Work Commission. As an employee you do have legal rights two defend your employee entitlements.

If you would like to discuss this important matter further you are welcome to select telephone services.

Kind regards

How do I raise the claim with the Fair Work Commission?
Solicitor: John Melis,
 replied 4 months ago

Dear customer, you may either go to the Fair Work Commission website and logic claim online, or you may seek the assistance of a solicitor to administer the claim process for you.

The best outcome with any employment dispute is an amicable settlement with the employer. If you have not done so already, I recommend that you attend mediation with the employer with an independent third-party assisting you.

Kind regards