John Melis,
Experience:  Principal Lawyer at Legal AU Pty Ltd
99270703

I signed up for Solar Panel installation on the 25th May,

Customer Question

I signed up for Solar Panel installation on the 25th May, with the agreement of having the system installed by the 25th June. The company I signed up with postponed the installation, claiming that they were waiting on equipment. They have still not installed it.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Victoria.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not to my knowledge, all conversations have been over the phone.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: just clicked on Consumer protection, is this correct
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Are we able to cancel the contract and stop the installation ?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  John Melis replied 3 months ago.

Dear customer, your question relates to solar panels.

The governing aspect of whether you can cancel the contract will be the agreement itself. I recommend that you review the agreement first.

The long held rule of contract is that once the signature of a party is written on the agreement and exchange has occurred, the contract will be binding even if the party has not read the terms and conditions. However, there are limited exceptions to this rule, that would ultimately need to be argued in court.

If you are not sure about the agreement and its termination clauses you are welcome to request to have the contract reviewed and I will advise you on the same, there are additional charges.

Alternatively, you may request telephone services to discuss in further detail.

Kind regards