John Melis,
Experience:  Principal Lawyer at Legal AU Pty Ltd
99270703

Can you tell me whether you can lock the steering wheel when

Customer Question

Can you tell me whether you can lock the steering wheel when a 2010 Hino GD1227 Manual is parked but left with the engine running?
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: The only information I have is the make of the truck.
JA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am a solicitor acting on behalf of a client that suffered an injury getting into the truck cabin. He was told he had to leave the engine running and when he put his hand on the steering wheel, the wheel turned and he fell suffering injury. Is it standard practice to leave the engines running when parked? Should the steering wheels be locked?
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's it. Thank you.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  John Melis replied 11 days ago.

Dear customer, your question relates to the operation of a truck for your client. I recommend that you contact the manufacture of the truck, and have an assessment done of the vehicle or an alternative vehicle of the same to confirm the status of the trucks steering wheel lock system, and how it should apply in normal operation.

Kind regards *****

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi John,
I understood that a mechanic would be responding to my query. Is there a mechanic that can provide a response?
Thank you.

Dear customer, I recommend that you contact the manufacture of the vehicle, and ask for their authorised repairer, mechanic, to assess the vehicle, if the actual truck is being assessed.

Kind regards *****