How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Melis Your Own Question
John Melis
John Melis,
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 562
Experience:  Principal Lawyer at Legal AU Pty Ltd
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
John Melis is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it legal for Telstra to charge $300 for disconnection

This answer was rated:

Is it legal for Telstra to charge $300 for disconnection from one of their bundles?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: NSW
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Nothing as yet - just want to find out if they have the right
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm 78 and deaf which could be an issue - found I was paying unnecessarily for my medium bundle - was not using a quarter of it - two months left to go on a/c and changed to lower bundle. Found I was worse off as they were charging me for phone calls etc so decided to cancel my a/c - now got the bill. Quite possibly I could have agreed to something I didn't quite understand when I did cancel - because of my ears!

Dear customer, your matter relates to contract.

The long held rule of contract is that once the signature of a party is written on the agreement and exchange has occurred, the contract will be binding even if the party has not read the terms and conditions. However, there are limited exceptions to this rule, that would ultimately need to be argued in court.

I would recommend that you review the provisions of the contract that has been entered into. Telstra may have sent that by mail to you or email.

If the contract is silent on this matter, then you may be able to raise a claim under the Australian Consumer Law.

Kind regards *****

John Melis and other Australia Law Specialists are ready to help you