Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

I just want to know if insurer's for a death claim benefit

Customer Question

Hi, I just want to know if insurer's for a death claim benefit have a timeframe to work by?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NSW
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I filed the death claim with the superannuation fund in April... It is now July and the insurer's are still faffing around with an authority to release information form...
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm not sure if my husband actually signed any forms when he joined the superannuation fund. I think he was just signed up and nominated by his employer at the time. My understanding is that they may refuse the claim on the grounds of pre-existing health conditions... are they able to?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  John Melis replied 4 months ago.

Dear Customer, your matter does relate to the insurer's procedures, and the death claim may take time to process in accordance with the policy that is applicable. If you would like to discuss your matter further by telephone, please request the same.