How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Deborah Awyzio Your Own Question
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 863
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Deborah Awyzio is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My question is that if an employer demote and offer a new

Customer Question

hello, my question is that if an employer demote and offer a new contract on the basis of disciplinary action, am I entitled to have some time to think before accepting or rejecting that offer before I launch a formal complaint in fair works commission?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I am in Queensland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: the issue started as a formal complaint against me on 5th May, management investigated and on 8th May, they verbally informed me about decision and yesterday I received it in writing and new employment contract which is commencing from today,
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have plans to launch a complaint in fair works commission against this unfair law so I need time to consult so what response should I give to the HR management about the new contract so that I can get some more time, am I legally entitled to have some time?
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  John Melis replied 2 months ago.

Dear Customer, there are minimum standards that apply under the Fair Work Act in your situation. Your issue will also depend on the company's policy hand procedures manual if they have one. If you would like to request a telephone call I can assist you further in more detail.