How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Deborah Awyzio Your Own Question
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 863
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Deborah Awyzio is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What reasons stop a person from legal aid assistance, Sorry

Customer Question

What reasons stop a person from legal aid assistance
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Sorry my son is in launceston tasmania
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: He is in court now for criminal matters but was only informed 6 oclock last night that he had been refused aid
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I,m not sure what you mean by connect?
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Expert:  Leon replied 2 months ago.

Good Morning.

What would you like to know?

Has he been denied legal aid?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He has been a client before and been denied now and told in court to get representation for next appearence. He is not on centre link but has no income
Expert:  Leon replied 2 months ago.

Good Morning.

Have they given a reason?

He can appeal their decision but without a reason it will be hard

Eligiblity in Tasmania ia based on the following.

We have two tests to determine if you are eligible for legal aid. First, we look at your income and assets and those of your partner. Second, your problem must be of a matter type where we grant legal aid. If you have a health care card or pension card, you may satisfy our income and assets test. To find out more information contact our telephone advice service or come into one of our clinic advice sessions and talk to a lawyer.

Here is the link it comes from.

There are also private lawyers that will accept legal aid and he can apply through them but he has to know why he has been denied.
He should be getting an adjournment today to sort out the legal aid matter.

He should not say anything else to the court.