Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I plan to travel later this year and have outstanding fines

Customer Question

I plan to travel later this year and have outstanding fines which have progressed to the infringement warrant stage, will that be an issue for me?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?
Customer: I'm in Victoria and the warrants vary, they are all traffic related, nothing criminal. The older ones, about 4 years ago were for drink driving but I pleaded guilty, just havn't paid the fines
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I havnt received anything in person
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, that's all
Category: Australia Law
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Leon replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Expert:  Leon replied 4 months ago.

Good evening.

When you say infringement warrant are you saying there is a warrant out for your arrest?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not that I know of. Is there any way I can check?
Expert:  Leon replied 4 months ago.

Good Afternoon

Have you received any letters from anyone about the outstanding fine? Are you driving again?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do have letters just saying there is outstanding, however I recently had my license reinstated and renewed my registration with no issues. Also I havnt had any direct contact with the sheriffs office.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Outstanding infringement warrants I meant to say, nothing indicating an arrest warrant
Expert:  Leon replied 4 months ago.

Good Afternoon

If that is the case it has not gone any further.

If it is to go further you will get a letter advising if the fine is not paid your licence will be suspended.

I would suggest you attend to payment because if you do not it will keep increasing as there is interest Imposed and it can get nasty.

But at the moment you should have no issue travelling.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just finally will I be notified by mail if there is an arrest warrant out on me for the infringements, and as sneaky as it seems would flying out and coming back in through a different state minimise any complications given it is unlikely they would have co ordinated about the issues
Expert:  Leon replied 4 months ago.

Good Afternoon

You will get a letter from the government that your licence will be suspended.

All of this is constrained to victoria it does not apply in other states as they are all separate when it comes to court matters.