Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I am an australian citizen i am retiring in18 months been

Customer Question

i am an australian citizen i am retiring in18 months been back in austalia the last 8 months prior to that the last 6 years ive been travling overseas coming back at least twice a year ive been told i have to spend the majority of the 18 months in australia so when i get my pension i can travil overseas without any restrictions am i allowed to go for a 3 week holiday
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: queensland now half the time in nsw
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Expert:  Leon replied 4 months ago.

You have to be in Australia for 12 months before you apply for the pension. Once you are granted you cannot go overseas for 2 years and if you do then you will not receive it and have to apply again when you get back.

Here is some detailed information for you.

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/age-pension-while-travelling-outside-australia

Once the 2 years is up you can travel and continue to get the pension but if you are away for more than 6 weeks you have to tell them.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards