Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I have a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee (now out of warranty) with

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee (now out of warranty) with approx 66,500kms. About a month ago the alternator caught on fire. We had it towed to Jeep mechanics, who assessed and advised it needed a new alternator & battery. This was done at the cost of $4,050. We picked the car up and got it to our street and it conked out again. Back to Jeep mechanics it went on the tow truck. After the mechanics contact Jeep America it needed another part roughly $1,500 (which we have not yet paid for) as the car is still at the mechanics as we speak. They changed that part and now there is a 4wd light coming on that they don't know how to fix. Back again in contact with Jeep America. So that is the situation at the moment. While this was going on, my husband contacted Jeep Australia Head Office & basically was told that there was nothing they can do. Firstly, this type of issue really should not have happened on a car with only approx. 66,500 kms. Secondly, this could have been a very dangerous situtation as I predominantly drive the car with my 3 young children. I'm wondering if I can lodge a formal complaint with the NSW ombudsman to recover the cost of repairs or part costs?
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: NSW & the car is a 2011 model. Out of warranty but has regular service history.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: We have only just spoken with Head Office on the phone. I was going to give them another call this morning & put something in writing also
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Basically if I have some sort of a case to recoup some of the cost to repair
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

What exactly is the issue? What cant they fix and why? Is it a manufacturing fault?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Leon.
They replaced the alternator & battery (which we had paid for), however when we picked it up & literally got it home it conked out again. It is now sitting at the Jeep mechanics where they replaced another part (I think the relay - not paid for yet). After replacing that, they found another issue with the 4wd light coming on & they have been in contact with Jeep America to see if they can give them some instructions on what may be causing this light to stay on. So that is the latest as to where it's at. Not sure why they can't seem to fix it.
In terms of a manufacturing fault - I'm not exactly sure on that - I'd say yes it is, car only has approx 66,500 kms even though it is a 2011 model with a service history.
Thanks
Katerina
Expert:  Leon replied 4 months ago.

If you can ascertain if it is a manufacturing fault then you are covered under the ACL

There are statutory warranties that do not expire.

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/repair-replace-refund

But if this happened because of fair wear and tear then you have to pay.

So you have to get details as to why these have failed and what caused it. If it was faulty manufacturing then you are entitle dot be recompensed by the dealer.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards