Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

We had 1993 Toyota Cruiser 4WD Ute stolen from a soccer

Customer Question

We had 1993 Toyota Cruiser 4WD Ute stolen from a soccer field in Albury NSW. We lent the vehicle to an employee to travel to play soccer. He left his wallet, phone and the keys in a bag if the change rooms and these articles were stolen. As it was an older vehicle we only had
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: third party Property Damage Insurance. Is the soccer club liable through public liability or if its a council owned property could we lodge claim through these. The vehicle has Vic Rego and has at this stage not been found
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes it has been reported to both Albury and Wodonga Police
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Expert:  Leon replied 5 months ago.

Good Afternoon

No the soccer club is not liable.

They had nothing to do with the theft and public liability only covers parties that are injured at an event of the club due to the clubs negligence.

If the party you gave the car too was negligent and left their personal items in the change room they are responsible.

The change rooms are generally accessed by anyone and leaving their personal items in there, they have been negligent.

If the change rooms were to be locked and that was a policy of the club, and he relied on this he can sue them for negligence but the public liability insurance would not cover the claim.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards