Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

I am a manager of a Risk team in the Superannuation

Customer Question

Good Morning, I am a manager of a Risk team in the Superannuation Industry. I have a client that seemingly has presented with two identities. My question is ... Is it legal in Australia to have more than one legal identity. In this case it looks like my client has set up his 2nd identity in 2003... well before current AML law
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NSW
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not to my knowledge
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no.. that's it for now
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Expert:  Leon replied 5 months ago.

Good Morning.

If we are talking about an individual they cannot have 2 identities.

It is not permitted.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
is there a specific law... something I can sight / Read?
Expert:  Leon replied 5 months ago.

Good Afternoon

It is fraud to use separate identities and to pretend to be someone else. This is all covered under the criminal laws of the states and the commonwealth.

If by having the separate entitle they are trying to reduce tax implications or obtain benefits that they would otherwise not be entitle to other acts also apply.

The question is what purpose does it serve to have 2 entities and how has he established the second?