Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I would like to know if I can have a paternity test done on

Hi I would like to know if I can have a paternity test done on my alleged child at time of birth?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Queensland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No. The baby is due in the next few weeks, my ex partner and I separated early in the pregnancy but there is doubt if I am the father
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have asked my ex partner to agree to the paternity test as soon as possible but she is not being very cooperative

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i do not require a telephone call

Good Evening.

Once the child is born ask if she is prepared to have a paternity test. If not then you will have to commence proceedings in the Federal Circuit Court or Family court for orders that the rest be done.

Here is some information and look at the heading What do you need to do.

http://www.legalaid.nsw.gov.au/publications/factsheets-and-resources/taking-action-to-question-paternity

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She says she will have the paternity test but is being difficult around the timing. She is telling me she will register the birth on the day it is born however, i want to know if I am the father so that I can be listed on the birth certificate.

Good Evening.

You can have the birth certificate changed after the DNA test. if she is going to delay then you have to go to court.

Make sure all your requests etc are in writing and you have copies to show she is not willing to work with you so when you apply you can seek an order for her to pay costs.

You will not get it done the day the child is born but within a few weeks it should be able to be done.

Confirm in writing to her what you have agreed to date and that once the child is born you will contact her again to arrange a time and place. You can then use this is she refuses on the issue of costs.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your help.

Good Evening.

You are very welcome and thank you for using my services.

Regards