Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

Someone who is longer my friend gifted my girlfriend a phone

Customer Question

Someone who is longer my friend gifted my girlfriend a phone that was ~$700. He paid for this with his credit card. And now we have had a falling out, he wants me to pay for it and if I don't he's threatening me with saying it was credit card fraud. He says that he has a friend in the complaints/fraud department at CommBank that would happily put this through for him and get me done for Credit card fraud. Can he do this?
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NSW
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No further questions at this stage
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Expert:  Leon replied 4 months ago.

Good Evening.

It is not your responsibility If he wants the money he has to chase the girlfriend. If it was a gift he has no chance of getting it but you are not liable.

Ignore the fraud threats and if you have that in writing go to the police and show them and report the extortion.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards