Have Australian Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

I bought a DJI drone online from a Alibaba store, now DJI

hi I bought a DJI...
hi I bought a DJI drone online from a Alibaba store, now DJI the manufacturer will not activate it because I did not buy from an a Official DJI dealer.
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/16/2017
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

When you bought it from the store did they confirm that you would be able to activate it?

Was this made clear to you?

the seller said they could activate it,
the manufactures pre-sales team said on many times that it would it work here in Australia they also said that there is no regional lock on the drone
I have a photo from the presales team I have about 6 photos

Why are you asking about buying it from china if you bought it from Alabama?

If the seller said they could activate it then why are they not doing it?

Are they based on Alabama or china?

Hi Leon
its Alibaba China not Alabama. Alibaba's seller said a few days after they sent the drone that it may not work here in Australia it is DJI saying that they wont activate the drone

\My apology.

You should lodge a complaint with Alibaba and ask for a refund you have enough evidence to show you were mislead and the Alibaba will refund you provided you are within the time.

You will not be able to do more than that as the seller is in china and you cannot sue them here.

Have you logged into your account to see if you still have time to lodge the complaint?

I should also say that the seller gave me the activation codes but it wont work because the DJI manufacturer has to give it permission to fly, so it is some sort of lock on the drone. DJI said that the drone will work in china but not here in Australia, like a regional lock or they just wont activate it.

Yes but they have in the photos you sent me said that you can use it in australia.

This is what you show them and ask for a refund.

I have told them many times but they still wont activate it. I really don't want to get a refund for I have made commitments I have 350Ha of sugar cane to spray, as I have been relying on this drone for income. I have made a complaint with the ACCC but I need some sort of letter stating they Laws and stating that they have to activate the drone.

The ACCC cannot do anything to an overseas company. It can only deal with Australian resident companies.

If the manufacturer has blocks on the items for regions they do not have to activate a drone if you did not buy it for the correct region.

Buying it from overseas you do not have any protection here, this is the biggest issue.

but they say it does not have a regional lock on the drone

It appears to me they lied to you and it does.

This is why it will not be unlocked.

You have been mislead.

Did you get a manual for it in english?

No it was in Chinese

You have bought a product that will not work here and you were mislead by them and once you got it they told you the truth that it may not work here. But your chaats before you ordered are enough for you to get a full refund but that is the only thing you can do.

ok thanks leon

All the best and good luck.

You are very welcome and thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards

Leon, Solicitor
Leon, Solicitor