Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My fiance is from the US, and we wish to get married here in…

Customer Question
My fiance is from...

My fiance is from the US, and we wish to get married here in Australia, how long does he have to be here so we are able to get married

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

OLD

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Australia Law
3/21/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 1 year ago
Leon, Solicitor

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. I will do my best to assist you with your question.

Good Morning

If you apply for a prospective marriage visa you can marry as soon as she arrives. It takes about 6 months to process.

Here is the link form the department

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/300-

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. if there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Leon , you did say that the laws are different in every state, I am in Qld, and you are in NSW, The reply you gave me is that for QLD. thankyou.

For Visas' it is a Federal law and applies the same in all states.

What I have given you applies in all states. You are dealing with the Federal Government not the state Government.