Have Australian Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

I have a signed lease agreement for my son & I to move into

Customer Question
I have a signed lease...
I have a signed lease agreement for my son & I to move into an apartment in Queensland on 16th January.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: I have just been informed by the agent that the property has been abandoned and we cannot now move into until approximately the 21st January. As we have paid the bond and first 2 weeks rent and we will now need to find alternate accommodation until the unit is available as my sons starts university on the 16th January do we have any claim against the agent to cover thee costs
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: ok
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: We have just received a phone call from Agent advising that the property has been abandoned and they need to give them 7 days to return keys
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Australia Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The property is in Southport, Queensland, Australia
1/10/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 1 year ago
Leon, Solicitor

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. I will do my best to assist you with your question.

Good Evening.

The lease says that it starts on the 16 January 2017 and they cannot give you the premises you have a right to terminate for breach and get your money back.

You have to send them a letter and confirm that they are in breach and if they do not give you the property on the 16 January you are terminating the lease and will hold them liable for any losses.

You will gave to take this to QCAT and get orders if they do not give you the premises.

You also have to read your lease more closely to see what other rights you have.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

Thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards

Leon, Solicitor