Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

I am an Australian woman married to an American man

Customer Question

Hi there, I am an Australian woman married to an American man (currently living in the U.S. and have been there for nearly 3 years). I wish to return to Australia but my husband will not discuss it (we went to America on the promised premise that he would let me come home if and when I wanted to). He now shuts me down at any attempt of discussion and says he will have me arrested at the airport if I try to leave. I am currently visiting my family in Australia and have been here for a month - he is joining us this Friday for our last week. Our children have dual citizenship.
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: I have a green card now.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No but he gets super angry and throws things and yells if I bring up going home.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thankyou.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 7 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. I will do my best to assist you with your question.

Expert:  Leon replied 7 months ago.

Good Afternoon

As an adult he cannot stop you leaving that is all false.

If you fear for your safety and he becomes violent you can call the police on him and get an Intervention order.

How old are the children?