How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44181
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have car accident the police arrive dicided both side

Customer Question

hi i have car accident the police arrive dicided both side fault i send the letter and the damage of my car to the other car insurance and then sudenly i get mail with the amount i have to paid what i should do ?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: its in victoria in 4/11/2016
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no but i know the sherrif name in that accident when i asked for the accident report they cannot give anything to me but the will say both side fault should i bring this to court ?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 6 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. I will do my best to assist you with your question.

Expert:  Leon replied 6 months ago.

Good Morning,.

If you dispute that you are at fault you have can defend it in court.

If you are insured I would suggest you contact your insurer and put ion a claim and have them fight the other insurer based on what you say happened.

If you have a copy of the police report this will assist you to show that you are both at fault. But generally in these circumstances you each pay for your own damages as you are both at fault.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

Thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.



Customer: replied 6 months ago.

The problem when i talked to the sherrif he cannot give me any report but when the insurance company called him,he will said both said fault. Moreover, when the insurance from other car which is break the roa rules and hit my car, called me they said i was fault because i am the first one who break the road rules.

After all the paperwork i am done and send the damages of my car without any notice the other car insurance send me a letter of invoice i have to pay. What i have to do ? Is that right i have to paid that

Expert:  Leon replied 6 months ago.

Good Morning

The police have to give you the report. The officer that came out should have given you a card with a number on it.

You have to contact the police that came out and investigated. Not the sheriff.

If the other side broke the road rules then the police should have found then liable.

You deny you are liable for the damage and tell them the police have told you that you are not at fault and that both parties are.

Also tell them you will defend this in court. But you have to get the report from the police.