Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

Today I was arrested for assaulting my partner. It was

Customer Question

Hi, I am Edmund. Today I was arrested for assaulting my partner. It was purely self defense as she was getting violent and throwing objects at me. I have to lock her down to the ground when she was about to grab my mobile phone and hit me. I told her to settle this issue like an adult and she call the police. Unfortunately her face was rub against the carpet when I was locking her down to the ground and she is using it as an evidence against me. I felt very helpless as I got no one to turn to at the moment. I was also given an order to stay away from my apartment and her. On Monday I have to attend a court session under the civil court. Should I have a lawyer with me on monday?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: I'm from Melbourne, it happened this morning around 11am.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: She make a police report and I was arrested. I gave my statement in southbank police station. I haven't report anything at the moment.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I need to know what I should do to defend myself and should I bring a lawyer with me on monday.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 6 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. I will do my best to assist you with your question.

Expert:  Leon replied 6 months ago.

Good Morning.

You will have to enter a plea of not guilty and have a solicitor represent you and have a hearing.

On Monday you seek an adjournment so you can get appropriate legal advise. The court will give you 2 weeks. You then should call the Law Institute of victoria and get a referral to a criminal lawyer. These are serious charges.

https://www.liv.asn.au

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

Thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Leon,
Thanks for responding to me, very much appreciated. Before I was released from the police station I was told I will not be charge for assaulting for now but may or may not be charge in the future.
The reason why I have to attend court on Monday is to sort out the issue with my partner, is under civil advocacy unit. Do I need a lawyer with me during that time?Edmund Teh
Expert:  Leon replied 6 months ago.

Good Afternoon

I would suggest you have a lawyer because this may not be a criminal matter but quasi criminal but it has major ramification on your future.

If you accept the order and then breach it you have committed a criminal offence.

Have a solicitor represent you to try and sort this out.

I hope this makes sense.