Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

Tina, I have had my elderly mother and I covered for funeral

Hello Tina, I have had my elderly mother and I covered for funeral insurance for quite a long while now with real insurance (Tower Life), its been well over a decade now, about 18 months ago Lets Insure contacted me regarding the amount I was paying for myself, The amount that they quoted me was very reasonable so I decided to transfer over for myself but I was told by Lets Insure that they couldn't cover my Mother as she was over 80, that was fine with me so I said then just I would transfer over to Lets Insure, My mother was to remain with Real insurance as the funeral insurance was good for us to have for her, I was the one making the payments for both me and my Mother, When The Insurance company (Lets Insure) Contacted the company to cancel my policy they (Real Insurance ) also cancelled my mothers Funeral Insurance as well and said that it was requested my me (not true as I have not corresponded with them in writing at all, there was a letter sent to them requesting my (MY) policy to be cancelled but alas they cancelled both mine and my mothers (not at my request) I realized that they (Real Insurance or Lets Insure) had mad a mistake when I found out 18 months later when I had no written correspondence about my Mothers Policy, I contacted Real Insurance and they told me that I had requested the cancelation in writing and sent me a copy of the letter requesting the said Cancelation, At no time in this letter did it state my mothers name and they cancelled her policy altogether, I can no longer get funeral insurance for my mother and she is now 82 (83 this July) I realize that a mistake has been made but it wasn't mine yet both companies are blaming the other, I simply want this sorted out but I am not getting any help, what can I leagaly do to get my mother fully covered for funeral insurance by the company she was insured with? Please Help me ? My mother's Full name Is Jean ***** *****, any help would be greatly appreciated, Wayne Nelson.
JA: Not for this question, but they might if you need additional services. You'll have to ask the Lawyer about that. Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: It is in Queensland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I have contacted both companies and Real Insurance sent me a copy of the letter (they say) requesting the cancelation of Mum's Policy, yet her name doesn't appear in the request(just mine)
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Only that I need mums policy reinstated asap

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. I will do my best to assist you with your question.

Good Morning.

The Error was made by Lets insurance and you should lodge a complaint about them with the Financial Ombudsman.

https://www.fos.org.au

Also If Real Insurance had cancelled without your mothers name being on the letter they too can be held liable.

Take the matter to the Ombudsman and you should also be prepared to bring the payments up to date if you have not been making the payments for your mum.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further Happy New year and

Thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Dear Leon, this was exactly what I was hoping for, Thank you for your help . Wayne

Good Morning.

All the best and good luck Get together everything you have to back up that they made the mistake.

Take care and happy new year.