How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44666
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been off work since the end of September with major

This answer was rated:

Hi my name is Janine ******. I have been off work since the end of September with major depressive disorder. I submitted a clain to Echelon, my Income protection fund who have not been very helpful. They maintain my illness is work related but I disagree. I have suffered with this condition since a traumatic event in 2001 and it has been successfully kept under control until recently. I have done every thing they asked of me including a consultation with a psychiatrist of their choosing. Just before Christmas, adfter three months of indecision on their part they finally rejected my claim on the basis that is was a pre-existing condition, which they had not mentioned before. Anyway I joined the scheme in 1998 and was not diagnosed until 2001. In the meantime I have no means of support and my family have paying all my bills, rent etc. Can you advise me what I can do? JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason. Customer: OK how much will this cost because I am without any funds of my own? JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to. Customer: Thank you I will try to reach the ombudsman JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in? Customer: South Australia JA: Has anything been filed or reported? Customer: My daughter has been in contact with ombudsman but before Christmas. Thank you JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you? Customer: You have been helpful but I cannot at this stage afford to pay anything. If I do not get any financial support I will have to leave my house etc. Thank you for your time

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. I will do my best to assist you with your question.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you Leon

Good Afternoon

If you did not have the condition when you joined and you can get a medical report to that effect then you should take the matter to the FOS and lodge a complaint.

You have to get all your information together and lodge your claim.

It is a free service and will cost you nothing. But you need the medical evidence to back you up.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. if there is nothing further

Thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.



Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you I do have various reports attesting to the fat that I was only diagnosed in 2001 which is three years after joining the scheme.Regards

Good Afternoon.

Provided they do not the condition existed before you will be fine and you should take it further.

Leon and other Australia Law Specialists are ready to help you