How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44904
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have a judgement against a person for the sum of

Customer Question

We have a judgement against a person for the sum of $100,000. The judgement was given about four years ago in a NSW court. The couple were examined by a lawyer after the judgement and it was reported to us that they had no assets that we could not recover the debt at that time. There was no formal review of their assets or income done at the time. They live in a wealthy area of New South Wales and we believe they have assets. We would like to have them examined again with the view of determining what assets and/or income they may have. We would be seeking from you advice in terms of what process we need to issue to have them re-examined and details about what that process may involve. We would also like to know what the process for having someone declared bankrupt involves.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. I will do my best to assist you with your question.

Expert:  Leon replied 9 months ago.

Good Afternoon

You can file an application with the court and do another examination. Further you can also do searches to see if they own property through the land titles office.

Because you have the file number it can be used to apply for a further examination as before.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further Happy new year and

Thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.



Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks Leon, can you let met me know.....does it have to be the same court the matter took place in last time(in the suburb) the debtor lives in? And how does one file for an extension? Is it just a matter of going to the court with judgement papers and requesting an examination? Or do we need to draft a document ourselves?
If we are not satisfied with the what they tell us.......apart from property, is there any other financial information we may be entitled to obtain? Company info, trust info etc?
Expert:  Leon replied 9 months ago.

Good Afternoon

It should be the same court that the matter was dealt with. The reason for this is the file is with that court.

The judgement has the file number on it and you seek to issue an examination summons.

If you are not satisfied you advise the court that they have not complied.