How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44333
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Property givern to me as a gft.I paying $100 aweeek for a

Customer Question

property givern to me as a gft.I paying $100 aweeek for a bedroom extra, as she's got her own property can she get half of my property im not married.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I was givern a property as I looking after a gental man he's like my one esle in voled my doctorasked him all kind of question. Latter my doctor turned around and i asked these question as any thing comes up Im here for u.I thing my friend is trying to get half
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: i owne the property out right
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm not married to her as I had spoke to centre like it's givern to you as a gift she not in title to anything as u are not married to her if was would be differt.
JA: Thank you.
Customer: Is that true or fauls.
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 7 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. I will do my best to assist you with your question.

Expert:  Leon replied 7 months ago.

Good Afternoon

If you are just friends and not a defacto couple then your friend cannot get anything. if you have been living together as a couple and more than 2 years your friend can make a claim.

The law will apply the following 4 steps.

Step 1: Determine what the assets are and their value

This will include all assets and their value as at the day that you are dividing them. It does not matter whose name the assets are in, they will form part of the matrimonial pool. Superannuation entitlements are also included.

Step 2: Determine what contributions you and your Husband made towards the assets.

This includes a consideration of both financial and non-financial contributions. Consideration is given to what assets each of you brought into the marriage as well. The weight given to your initial contribution will be dependent upon the length of your relationship. The longer the relationship the less weight given to the initial contribution.

Step 3: What are each of your future needs.

Consideration is given to your respective ages, your comparitive income earning capacity as well as other factors.

IF these things don't balance equally for each spouse, then an adjustment is made in the percentages.

Step 4: Make an order that is just and equitable between both spouses

Your partner may not get 50% but they may get something if you are a defacto.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. if there is nothing further

Thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.



Related Australia Law Questions