Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

My partner walked out on me after 32 years together. He left

Customer Question

My partner walked out on me after 32 years together. He left me for a 29 year old. I am left with the rent at 340.00 per week. Both our names were on the lease. I changed the lease after 6 months into my name. He would not remove his belongings and still has stuff here. I had trouble getting the house key off him. I was wondering if is responsible for half the rent while he was still on the lease. He left me with numerous bills also. He is doing well and is buying a shop in Bali where his girlfriend is. I am left struggling to pay the rent.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I am in QLD
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not as yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He still continues to drop around uninvited when he is in Australia
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. I will do my best to assist you with your question.

Expert:  Leon replied 9 months ago.

Good Morning.

I am really sorry to hear about this.

If you have taken his name off the lease then you are liable to pay the rent on your own.

But you can claim spousal maintenance if you were reliant on him

Also as part of a property settlement being a long relationship you can claim part of his super.

Here is some information about the spousal maintenance.

http://www.diyfamilylawaustralia.com/Topic/spousal_maintenance_how_calculated.html

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further have a happy new year and

Thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards