Have Australian Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

We own a shop in Croydon and power comes into a box and then

Customer Question
to 5 shops of which...
We own a shop in Croydon and power comes into a box and then to 5 shops of which we are one.The box needs to be renewed as we have lost power at leased 4 times. Ausnet Refuses to fix it and says that we must replace box at a cost of $10000
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Victoria
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No only had sparky out
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: 2 shops have been without power for 2 days while we try to contact all the landloords to share cost
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Australia Law
11/27/2016
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 11 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. I will do my best to assist you with your question.

Good Morning.

The power box usually is the owners responsibility.

When you put on the power you pay for the fuses and the Box the power company simply connects you to the mains.

You should be talking to the other 4 shops and getting an independent electrical to give you a quote on the replacing of the junction box. If the electrician can give you a report that the damage to the box is because of the electricity company then you can see reimbursement from them.

But the mains box is owned by the property owner and the owners are liable to pay for its replacement.

So each shop that connects is liable for their share.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards

Good Morning.

Just checking to see if there is anything else I can assist you with? If not than you for using my services and take care

Regards

Leon, Solicitor