Have Australian Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

I broke my ankle on 7 sep 16 in phuket. I have provided

Customer Question
several medical certificates since, with...
I broke my ankle on 7 sep 16 in phuket. I have provided several medical certificates since, with most recent being from orthopedic surgeon who i was referred to after xray at 6 weeks revealed no healing. I saw orthopedic surgeon yesterday and because of xray and swelling pain etc he gave new medical certificate to 24 Jan. He also sent me for MRI, and results today revealed a further broken bone, fluid and bruising. When he phoned me today he said it is a lot worse than previously thought and to expect an even longer recovery time. He told me minimum 6 months. After employer (qld govt) received medical certificate which has always stated unfit for work after breaking ankle on 7 sep 16, she reqyested i sign a consent form for her to talk to my medical providers. Although i have nothing to hide, I feel this is an invasion of my privacy and i do not want to give her access to this. What rights do i have not to sign the consent?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Queensland, Australia.
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: Full time and permanent. I have been there for 13 years. I am currently on unpaid leave from the state govt, and am receiving income support insurance at 75 percent of wage.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The surgeon gave me a clearance to go on a pre-arranged cruise in November. He gave me written clearance with conditions related to wheelchair and rest.
Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Australia Law
11/23/2016
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 12 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. I will do my best to assist you with your question.

Good Morning.

An employer has a right to seek information from about your condition to ensure that they are protected by work cover.

You do not have to allow this to happen it is your decision.

Unless you authorise it they cannot get the information.

You have a right to ask your employer to give you a letter with what they want to know and you can then take it to your doctor and have them issue a detailed report.

The issue from your post is that you are going on a cruise but you cannot work. If you can work in a wheelchair the question is why cant you return to work.

You may be on unpaid leave but your employer also has a right to know how the injury will impact on your work on your return. I would not give them the right to talk to the doctor but ask them to give you a detailed letter on what they want and you will speak to your doctor.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards

Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 11 months ago

Good Morning.

Just checking to see if there is anything else I can assist you with? If not than you for using my services and take care

Regards

Leon, Solicitor