Daniel, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
13248794

The police in old arrested me and took me to the P station

Customer Question

the police in old arrested me and took me to the P station for questioning.I rang a duty solicitor who told me not to say anything. the police gave my a piece a paper for me to attend the magistrates court in the morning . I attended court in the morning but the police didn't turn up. I was not on any list to appear that morning. I attended court the next morning but i was not on the list again. I have heard thru a friend that the police want to talk to me again. Im travelling back to the USA on monday. Can they stop me from leaving the country?SAM
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: Queensland last week
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Daniel replied 10 months ago.

Hello
What is the charge?
If it is minor....
No, they cannot stop you from leaving.
At worst, the matter may well be listed in court on another date and you may be convicted in your absence, meaning as you did not turn up to court, they dealt with the matter without you being there.

I wish to help you in this situation.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
First of all thank you for the prompt reply.
Im a 71 year old with only about 12 months to live .The reason I'm returning to the USA is for further medical treatment. Ive been going over there for treatment during the last 8 years. I tried to explain this to the police , so the night of my arrest (for damaging propertyx2)they told me to be at the magistrates court the next morning to hear the charges. I asked them what evidence they had and they told me they didn't have to tell me till the next day in court.
As they know I'm leaving to go back to the USA, can they arrest me at the airport?If so can I ask for the matter to be put off till I return?
SAM
Expert:  Daniel replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for the further info.

Do not be alarmed, they will not arrest you at all.

You can elect to have it dealt with after you return.

I wish to help you in this situation.

Expert:  Daniel replied 10 months ago.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Expert:  Daniel replied 10 months ago.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Expert:  Daniel replied 10 months ago.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Expert:  Daniel replied 10 months ago.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ive been arrested again on my way to the airport. I had to appear in court the next day . Ive now had my passport taken away from me. I can't now leave the country to seek medical treatment. The police seem to know my movements. Where to from here???
Expert:  Daniel replied 9 months ago.

They would have known you were to leave the country.
otherwise there would have not had an airport watch list out for you, not for such an offence.
I would suggest seeking a Bail Variation to confirm that you are to leave the country and have arrangements made to attend to medical assistance and have the matter brought back to court upon your return.
If you are guilty of the offence, perhaps you can relist the matter for a sentence and resolve it.