Daniel, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
13248794

I have a question about a safety recall that has been sent

Customer Question

Hi, I have a question about a safety recall that has been sent out about a motorcycle, the dealer needs the motorcycle for 24 hours for testing and will only do a repair if the bike fails the test.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Im in Western Australia, the issue I have is that I live over 600km from the dealer and for me to take the bike to them means two days travel there and back, accommodation, and having to take tine off work to do this, the dealer said that they will only supply transport or refund cost if the bike is actually faulting which mine isn't at this point but that I still have to take the bike to them at my cost, I asked if a registered repairer local to me could do the repair but they said no. Do I have any right to ask for help with the cost due to it being a recall repair for a manufacturing fault on the bike, and dose the dealer have to fit the part or could a registered repairer do it instead. I also asked if I could buy the new part at my cost and have it fitted, as that would be cheaper than going to the dealer, they said I could but still would have to inspect it afterward which still means going to the dealer
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: in what way?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Daniel replied 10 months ago.

Hello
As much as I want to suggest otherwise, there is no real recourse here.
The dealer would not specifically be liable, the manufacturer would be, however there is no real obligation by law for them to reimburse you.
Clearly you can ask for consumer affairs to look into this issue, but there is no real mechanism here to have the manufacturer cover you.

Is the manufacturer / dealer able to arrange pick up / drop off of the bike?

Expert:  Daniel replied 10 months ago.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Expert:  Daniel replied 10 months ago.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Expert:  Daniel replied 9 months ago.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.