How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44904
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a friend a canadian cit that ex husband has died she

Customer Question

i have a friend a canadian cit that ex husband has died she is the maned person on his life insurance . his family is trying to get her to sign it over to them . she wants to claim it herself but has no copy of death cert or any of the infor . ie who policy is with and such
JA: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?
Customer: british columbia
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: atm just an e-mail with forms for changing it over to sister
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: she is out of country atm is in australia
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. I will do my best to assist you with your question.

Expert:  Leon replied 11 months ago.

Good Morning.

She does not have to sign it over to them as she is the nominated beneficiary.

The Trustee of the policy has to honour her wishes unless there is a court order.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.