How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Deborah Awyzio Your Own Question
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 863
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Deborah Awyzio is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Recently my husbands payments to a child he has never met

Customer Question

Recently my husbands payments to a child he has never met were increased. We are very behind with our tax returns so centrelink said they could access the last 3 years of income and have increased his support payments and also set up a repayment of what he owes for that last 3 years.
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: We are in the process of sorting our tax, but how far back can they insist on back pay is my question? thankyou
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page. Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: victoria
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 8 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. I will do my best to assist you with your question.

Expert:  Leon replied 8 months ago.

Good Afternoon

There is no time limits on how far back they can go. The limit is back to the date that the application was lodged.

If his returns are lower than they estimated they will amend his payments.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok thankyou so as it stands because our lodgements are so behind at this point they can only go back three years is that correct.
Expert:  Leon replied 8 months ago.

Good Afternoon

If you are three years behind then they will only go back those three years.