How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44351
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am recently divorced and have an enforcement issue with

Customer Question

I am recently divorced and have an enforcement issue with our marital settlement. We were divorced in the state of Florida.
We have divided all stocks, cash, and real property and alimony is paid monthly. All property due my ex-wife has been handed over to her.
My problem is that furnishings and a car in Guyana was placed in my column. This property is currently in my ex-wife's possession. She has refused to hand it over to me.
Can I withhold alimony against the value of this property?
Submitted: 9 months ago via Cornell Legal Info Institute.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. I will do my best to assist you with your question.

Expert:  Leon replied 9 months ago.

Good Morning.

You are going to have to take the matter to court in Guyana as the US courts cannot enforce any orders over there.

Only the Guyana courts can force her to do what the orders say. Also the US judgement and agreement may not be valid in Guyana and you will have to have the court over there make orders similar to the US and then enforce the orders they make.

If you withhold alimony and you are both in the US she can argue you are in breach and seek compensation.

I would suggest you take it back to court and seek to have the almond suspended for a period that is equal to the value of the items in Guyana and force your ex to eighteen sell them or give them to you and then you start paying the alimony. It is best you have a court order to stop on solid grounds than take it on your self and find yourself in court being sued for non compliance.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.