How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44351
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Centrelink have claimed they have overpaid my son in the

Customer Question

Centrelink have claimed they have overpaid my son in the year 2010-2011 and want him to pay back $3000 they say they did not take his correct earnings into account can they still do this so long after the time
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: qld
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: income tax and earnings throughout the year
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: my son dosent have any records but the tax office confirms the amounts from his employers that year
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. I will do my best to assist you with your question.

Expert:  Leon replied 9 months ago.

Unfortunately they can.

There is no limitation period on moneys owing to centrelink or any government department.

If he disputed their allegations he has a right to seek further information and also respond to their allegations.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.