How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44179
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Do i need to have communication with my ex partner to have

Customer Question

Do i need to have communication with my ex partner to have custody of my child?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Victoria
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no we are currently in mediation trying to work out a parenting plan
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no that is all
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 8 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. I will do my best to assist you with your question.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** need to know the answer so I can continue with my custody dispute.
Expert:  Leon replied 8 months ago.

If you cannot communicate with them due to it breaking down to an argument you can have a diary where you each set out what is going on and what you wish to do.

It is best that you try and communicate because it is better for the child but if you cannot speak without it breaking down to an argument then the only thing that is open to you is the diary which the child takes from parent to parent.

You have to finish mediation and if it fails then you have to go to court.

If you reach an agreement with a parenting plan you should look at having it made into a court order by consent so it is enforceable.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.


Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is there a law that says I have to communicate in order to have custody of my son?
Expert:  Leon replied 8 months ago.

No there is no such law.

But if you cannot talk the question is how will you reach an agreement?

During the medaiton process you may have to address him directly