How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44911
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I went to get my drivers license renewed. They now only send

Customer Question

Hi I went to get my drivers license renewed. They now only send it in the mail. I asked them to send it registered post, or to a central location or to a different address. They declined. My drivers license was stolen in the process, now i have become a victim of identity fraud. There has been 5 applications for new phones in my name. I have made a police report which has had no response in over 3 weeks, spoken to the post office - who give packages to a "nominee" with a forged signature, spoken to the RMS/RTA whom refuse to change my license number and I contacted all of the phone companies as well as governing bodies to put a ban on my credit applications. My concern is now I can still receive infringement notices under my drivers license number, after 21 days I will need to re-apply for bans, there are criminals currently holding my drivers license and nobody seems to take accountability or offer any assistance in resolving this matter. Also, do the RMS not have a liability for the disclosure of my personal information in which they were careless enough to send such an important document via unsafe conditions that resulted in my license landing in a criminals possession after my several attempts to seek an alternative solution?
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 12 months ago.

Good Morning

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand I am very limited on what I can tell you and that you may have to get more detailed advice.

You need to take the report to the police to the RMS and have the current licence cancelled and a new one issued.

If they refuse to do this you have a right to complain to the ombudsman in your state.

I am not sure how they have given out your information because they will not do so without photo ID.

If you have evidence of them giving out your personal information this will assist you in your complaint.

They only send them with regular post and there is nothing you can do about that.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.